Thursday, October 7, 2010

STEVE POST; Changes Good and Bad

Actually I really don't have a plan for this blog today, but knew it was time for me to write something!  So, here we go...and who knows where we will end up at the end of it all :)

First of all...the change I want to talk about the most...for our 15th year anniversary year (which I think SHOULD have some special celebrations in it!!) we are going to work up Music Again (Adam again) as the NEW opening song for our shows...goal will be to have it ready by June, 2011, for the busy summer season.  As I said to audiences this summer, some who had seen us for the past 10 years at least, that "this is our 14th year and the opening song is still Cuba Libre" I came to the conclusion that I COULD NOT say this when it was "this is our 28th year and our opening song is still Cuba Libre"...no way that was going to work.  So, it is time to move Cuba Libre to a new "greatest hits section" towards the end of the show, and create something new.  I promise that I will resist making it harder than If I Had You (though I am tempted!)...but we will have to work up some really exciting opening show choreography for it...AND...I promise you all the longest memorized drum solo that will be part of this song (over the 16 measures of guitar solo in the song)...so you can start looking forward to that.  I may have some basic first parts for the last round of practices this year; if not, then for sure in the first set of 2011 practices.  Be ready :)  I am curious though...this is a big change to the show...so vote on the new poll about this and let me know your thoughts.

Second, after a recent crazy interaction with a potential new family at one of our new sites, I have decided that we must get started on the SR book.  I was talking with the Sioux Fall-ians last night about this and they agreed...we must get started on this.  At our upcoming Site Coordinator's meeting, Jordan will be presenting his VERY hard work of this year...putting together all of our press things, from all 14 years, at long last!  This has been something that has been ongoing, and failed at, for many years...mainly because there is so much STUFF about us out there...he has finally organized it all in some great books...and we want to figure out how to turn it into something COOL for everyone to have access to...in some format.  To go along with this, we need to get the book started; Jovanna, are you still up for writing it...or helping write it?  I have some ideas finally how to get started on it, so let me know if you are willing to help...anyone else is welcome to help to...so let me know!  It is time to get down all the stories about up's, down's, and crazies that have helped truly form the NEVER GIVE UP step of SR.  If you are curious about my recent crazy interaction (one of many that happens each month sadly), you will have to wait for the book.  HA!

Third, I am sad to see more and more schools cutting all of the arts programs; music, art, drama, etc.  This seems to be a fast-growing trend, meaning that SR needs to become an outlet for kids who are losing their access to this at school.  We can at least work to meet the musical needs out there.  For those schools not losing them, they have certainly been marginalizing these programs; making kids come at 6am for practice...making it a super-choice between art-oriented classes vs. core-curriculum-oriented classes...which then forces some kids out of the arts area as they work to meet their core needs.  (This of course never happens with sports of any sort) :(   So, you can talk about these changes in your own communities/schools/perspective, as I would be curious to hear about your views on this.

Finally, there seems to be more fear out there economically speaking than at the beginning of the year.  I know it means we are going to have to increase fundraising for scholarships next year, so plan to be talking about this with me at all practices towards the end of this year and beginning of next year, as we are going to pull together nationally and help those who will need extra help to be in SR...because that is what we do...help each other.  We will have to find ways to think more nationally about this...and make sure all our current members are aware that if they are raising money to help a local new member OR a far-away-site new member, they are still meeting SR-goals...because we will never let money preclude someone being in SR...and succeeding at their journey with us...even in times when there IS no money out there...few jobs...and a whole lotta hopeless feeling people...it is up to US to show them that there is still a way...something positive going on...and bring hope to those who need just that.  I will ask you all to be praying on ways to go about this so that we can all pull together when 2011 rolls around.

There...a very long, multi-subject post for you all to enjoy...now to make it pretty colors :)  See you all soon!

23 comments:

  1. ~First off i would like to say that i think making Music Again the opening song is a very good idea. But I still think we should keep Cuba Libre in the show because it has been such a huge part of SR since the beginning.
    ~Second i like the idea of finally seeing the SR book come together :)
    ~Third my school cut off its drama club about 5 years ago when my sister was still in school. Some of the students in my grade have tried to get it back but we keep getting turned down. It is very true that the arts are leaving the younger generations....So sad.
    ~And lastly our site is one of the few that are having the most economic struggles. We do fund raise and it helps a bit but sometimes you need that extra umph to get us motivated. we are working as best as we can all the time :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. First off, I like the title of this blog, exspecialy after my hapenings of today. They will NOT be mentioned on the internet because there are some people that will not be finding out for a while. I fyou want to know just ask. Let's just say it was a painful expierence, but I'm glad I did it.

    Next- I still think the change is good. Considering I'm getting sick of saying 14 years and Cuba Libre is always the first song and I have only been saying it two years, I can't imagine how it is for you Steve!

    Third- I am willi9ng to help with the book as much as needed. :) I'm excited to see this idea become a reality!

    Fourth-This really makes me sad seeing as these are the jobs I'm going to college for! It is rediculious how bad the arts are being cut. I know when I was in middle school we had a huge thing about cutting our middle school band to half time, and the entire school went into a fury. The cut still happened, but it was good to see how many people cared. Now that we are all off into college, and "the real world" however many people do not fight for the arts that they loved so much. I'm glad that we are able to be that creative outlet for kids, but I really want the arts to stay with schools. Yes, I am thinking my future here as well!

    Fifth- It stinks that the economy is so down. I really hope that everyone is able to stick with SR. I know it has changed and helped me so much.

    Well, I'm hungry and it's Outfly (all classes canceled today and moved to tomorrow meaning I have a four day weekend!!!!!) so it is good food in the Mensa. Time for "Winner, Winner Chicken Dinner!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We don't have the luxury of color change like you, Steve. GOSH!!

    (Haha, just kidding. Numbering will have to do.)

    1) It's hard for me to let go of things like that. Cuba Libre is tradition! I'm reluctant to let it to... and even more reluctant to let it go for another Adam song. Don't take this too personally, but is SR going to turn into 'Adam Lambert' plus drums? We've never taken two songs from one place before save for in the beat accelerators.

    2) I am all in, Steve. Although I seem to remember agreeing to be editor. I can't write what I didn't live, right? ;) Tell me when I can start helping in any way. (I just can't take it. I'm going to start editing now. It's redundant to say "15th year anniversary" because anniversary means "turning of the year." 15th anniversary will suffice. ;) )

    3/4) I see paragraphs three and four as being integrally related. When a nation is doing well economically, its arts flourish; this has been true throughout history. People say that this is the worst our country has been in terms of economics since the great depression. But it won't stay that way forever. Once we get on an upward swing, schools will have more funding for the arts and all those classes and jobs will come back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jovanna-Actualy I recal us (Steve and I and someone else I can't remember off the top of my head) talking about the fact that SR went through a Madonna phase...
    To everyone-Don't worry about this unspoken expierence. It's nothing horrible, I promise! Thank you for the concerned messages though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really? haha... I can't imagine that. That's funny.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1) I really like the idea of the new song as the beginning, but I wish blogspot had a like button because Jovanna's quote "Don't take this too personally, but is SR going to turn into 'Adam Lambert' plus drums?" Is so true. Well since we are on the topic of Cuba Libre, with me knowing no spanish, I got a very different idea of what the song meant.

    2) I would be able to help with the book, if needed :).

    3) My district luckily has not had to fully cut anything. They have made cuts, but nothing that changes the program or ends it. Just enough cuts where students have to do some fundraising.

    4) I know what Kelli is talking about!!!!! ;) hahahahahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  7. My dear Tonia...many SR people know...just not specific ones as of right now...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm confused.

    But that's beside the point. I'm having a terrible time deciding who to be for Halloween. Got it down to two choices. Eeve Hammond from V for Vendetta (Yes, I'd have to shave my head) or Sally from Nightmare before Christmas... which do you guys think I should go with?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, yes, Jovanna, I can vouch for the fact that we went through a Madonna phase years ago :) There's something about Cuba Libre that seems to act like a switch that turns the audience on as soon as we start playing. I expect the same from the new song - it has to be exciting and put the audience in a good mood right at the start. And, well, since someone had to tell me the song was by Adam Lambert, there may be others that don't know that either.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jovannah-You would be one of the people I would tell, but you have no cell number to text,and I refuse to tell people online.

    Brenda-I'm pretty sure that is only 2 shongs for the show by Adam now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I didn't mean to start a big debate about the new song. I think it's a fitting song. I just think that our songs should be more anonymous. No one's ever heard of Cuba Libre before Sheltered Reality (at least, I think) and therefore it's a new and exciting experience. Add the drums to it and you have something really special.

    Kelli-I'm sorry. If there's something you need to talk out you could email me. But you're right. No cell.

    ReplyDelete
  12. ~~I am super excited about making Music Again the opener!! It will be nice to start shows off a little bit different!

    ~~Wow...the book is finally going to be made! I can help if you need me!

    ~~It is very sad that schools are cutting the fine arts departments. The college I go to is the best college for music/music education majors in the state of Missouri!! There are not many jobs out there for music/music ed. majors. Music is a HUGE part in a person's life. Well, in mine and hopefully ya'lls too! Music has made me the person I am today and I am very thankful for that!!

    ~~We just have to do whatever it takes to raise money and build up our scholarship funds. We want any new members we can get!

    Just FYI...my pinkie is slowwwwly healing!! It still hurts like crazy but it is doing a little better! Thanks everyone!! Enjoy this upcoming week!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. 1) I'm always up for new songs! Just don't add any more Adam Lambert in after this. It better be attention getting like Cuba Libre was, though! It's funny watching peoples faces right as we hit that first note. They all jump. Please keep Cuba Libre in our repertoire! It's such a great song.

    2)I'll be eager to see how the book pans out!

    3)My school cut the music program when I was in 10th grade. It was a blow. We still have theater, and assorted visual arts though, because there's no sports at our school to suck up funding. I hate how the arts are always the first thing to go at most schools. Theater is such a huge part of my life, I can't imagine losing it.

    4) I'm up for fundraising for new/old members who need financial aid! Everyone should have a chance to be in SR regardless of money, and I'll do what I can!

    Jovanna- I wish I could help but I cannot for the life of me get my own costume together.

    Kristen- Glad to hear you're healing!

    Everyone- Has anyone ever done/seen taiko drumming? It's amazing. I'm going to try to start taking taiko classes now too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jovanna-You could be a gorilla! I'm looking for one! Then you come to Wartburg so that you could help me with my "project" for the band costume party!I'm a banana!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kelli- Ahahahahaha!!

    Gorilla costumes are insane!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sonja- I have seen Taiko drumming! :) it is awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Kelli- I have always wanted to be a banana for Halloween................lol

    ReplyDelete
  18. 1.Yayy I'm excited that we are doing Music Again!!! I love that song! and the longest memorized drum solo...WOOT! Thats what I'm talking about! That will be fun! :))

    2. Woot woot for the book!! I can help if needed. :D

    3. It makes me sad knowing that kids aren't able to experience those kinds of things. I LOVE all that, and I don't think it's fair that I can enjoy all that and some don't. It's upsetting.
    At my school, our marching band was selling bracelets that say Love Music on them and all the money they got they were sending to a school that doesn't have the arts. I thought that was pretty awesome.

    4.I just wish everything will get better. It's very stressful and depressing. I know it will get better...but when?? I have nooo clue


    Sonja- I have seen taiko drumming!!!!

    For Halloween... My friend and I might be Wayne and Garth from Waynes World :D I'm Wayne! :)) If we don't do that.. then I have noo clue.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Usually I just like to sit back and read all the things you all like to say, but I decided to share my own thoughts on this new opening song matter.

    First, just some extra things for you all to think about:

    -Many communities request to have SR perform again year after year (some towns are up to having us 7 years in a row!)...so shouldn't those hardcore fans be treated to a huge surprise, like a new way to start the show?

    -We do many new communities all the time, and Cuba Libre is a great opener for the new audiences...so I can guarantee that Cuba Libre won't be "going away"...so maybe sometimes we'll feel the urge to do Music Again as an opener and the next show, we'll feel like doing Cuba Libre...it's good to give the show some variety.

    -Think about it from a different perspective...WHAT IF Music Again had been our opener for the past 14 years, and all of a sudden Steve said "We're going to change our opening song to this really amazing song called Cuba Libre!"...would you be willing to try to work with the change, or would you think less optimistically and have a response like "So we're going to start playing Spanish songs now???" or something like "What kind of name is Gloria Estefan anyway...and I don't like the things she stands for!" We have to remember that all bands that tour in any way, shape or form change their concert line up continuously. If you're a die-hard fan of Cobra Starship, Tobymac, Michael W. Smith or Lady Gaga and went to every single one of their concerts, wouldn't you be slightly disappointed if after the 10th concert you could predict the line up and words of the show?? We don't want to disappoint our audience.

    So try to think about it positively and who knows...maybe you'll end up loving the Music Again routine even MORE than Cuba Libre or MORE than If I Had You...you just gotta Take a Chance and see what happens. :)

    Jordan

    ReplyDelete
  20. Haha, Jovanna I love you!!! I really hope you can be at the practice on the 30th because I would realllllllllllllllllyyyyyyy like to see you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am excited about changing the opening song..I am the parent of an SR drummer and so many times you can see that the opening number of the show is kind of robotic..they do the same thing time after time and after awhile it just get to be automatic...they don't really shine and show thier talent and "never give up attitude" until someone comes and mixes up the show a bit.

    Also on the comment of arts in the schools...our site was fortunate enough to recieve a very generous corporate grant to fund school shows this year. On approaching our home school district we were told that they had placed a 1 year moratorium on school assemblies. They feel there is not enough teacher/student contact and interaction. What better way to make a teacher a hero in a students eyes than partisipating in guest drumming and the crazy teacher dance? Who knows that may be all some students need to break the ice and get down to the real business of learning and respect

    ReplyDelete
  22. Laurie,

    WOW...a one year moratorium on school assemblies because of not enough teacher/student contact? That is unreal. And you are right...we are a great way to make that happen...I guess we will simply hang onto the grant and try these schools again next year :(

    ReplyDelete