Friday, March 18, 2011

~SR Uber Wootin' Writers Blog #16; Kelli~

Hey everyone! I’m sorry that we are doing so poorly on updating this lately. I guess we all tend to forget about some things with everyone having busy schedules.


So, I don’t know about you guys, but I have had a really off/rough week. I decided to finally let a friend of mine from Wartburg know the real me. I haven’t been fake with my friends all of this time, they just don’t know the full me yet. I decided to tell her my story, and it really got me thinking. After reading it, I emailed her because she is now on medical leave; she said that she understands why I am so into Sheltered Reality. I started to think back about how I first ever became connected with SR. I know I had seen them multiple times before I actually joined, but I keep going back to the Northwood church show the day I joined. I still remember exactly what Steve said to me after guest drumming and my response back to him. I also remember cutting my hand on Matt’s cymbal, which go figure one day mine would be ten times worse than his, but that’s another story. Anyways, I am surprised that I remember that day just like it was yesterday. But if I am able to remember that I am sure you are all able to as well. So, I was wondering, how did you first become connected to SR, not necessarily joined, but just connected? I think it would be really neat to hear everyone’s story, and it gives us all a chance to reflect on the past and look forward to the future.

After what happened this morning a very special guy in my life told me to look at Jeremiah 29:11, which is my favorite bible verse. “For I know the plans I have for you, says the LORD, plans to prosper you, not to harm you. I have plans to give you a future filled with hope.” I’m not really sure exactly what God was telling me this morning other that “Hey you! Pay attention, and don’t push yourself so far!” But anyways, this verse is also what gave me the idea for this blog. God has a plan for each and every one of us in SR. He wants to use us, teach us something, or even both. What does God have planned for you?

Have a great weekend!

9 comments:

  1. I became connected with SR in June of 2009. I went to a show in my hometown and I thought it was absolutely the coolest! I never pictured myself actually joining, but I wanted to know more about it. I went to practice the next day and fell in love with it! At first I thought I joined because it looked cool and fun, now that I have been in it for almost 2 years, I have come to find it as my home away from everything. SR takes my mind away from school, family issues, and everything else happening and puts it all to a hault, even if it is only for a few hours. I love SR so much and I don't know where I would be right now without it.

    I am still trying to figure out exactly what God has planned for me. Every day is a new day to figure out what he has planned. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. WE, Jon and I first heard of SR at our church show in 2005. Then found out later, my older son had heard them in 2004 at UCC National Youth Event & took 1 yr before coming in for a show. At first it was seeing our son grow in his faith & confidence in himself. We had just moved away to a new home where he didn't know anyone. He was at the point where he was bullyed at school, no one to mentor him & the only "white" boy in his class since 1st grade. By 6th grade it was really a rough situation every week. Some kids were only his friend if they needed a "ride". SR gave him a place to be proud of his hard work, something to do, and community service to doing good for others. He felt welcomed where everyone was treated the same. SR gave us the opportunity to work together as a family & to share a common interest that he didn't mind if his parents were involved too. We committed ourselves both by voluteering not just for him but to the rest of the group as well. SR has been our "JOY" in our life over the years and we love our drummers like our own kids and Jon has made many friends. He's still kind of quiet but not like he used to be. He listens to all the stories and can connect to many with his own life experiences. If something or someone has touched his heart, he shares that moment and SR has touched OUR hearts in so many ways.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 2nd part - what has God planned for me? Well, this past year Ed and I took over coodinating the St Louis site. And the first three months we doubled in size. Then we planned the BAsh weekend and met so many others we shared that vision with & touched many along the way. We have a new friend/drummer Gabriel who amazes me with his talents and makes me laugh. Then we have the children's home Steve is working with...from see SR in concert, a mission project and guest drumming at the bash they are now part of the SR family. We are just beginning...I am soooo looking forward to where God leads us this year in 2011.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My first contact with Sheltered Reality was when they held lessons at my church one Wednesday night, and I'd been there for confirmation. I'd really been interested in drumming before, but it was never something I'd really thought I would pursue. It was fall, 2005, and I've been part of Sheltered Reality ever since.

    God's plans are always so much bigger than we can ever realize, but I don't think God has plans for anyone that are bigger or greater than the plans He has to use each of us to bring more people to faith in Him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We both had a crappy week together and I must say.. I am glad it is over!

    The first time I herd of SR was from my sister. The first time I saw SR was at a practice way back in 2006.. July 11th to be exact! I went to practice with my sister Sarah and her mom Louise.. I had no clue what SR was. I remember that day like it was yesterday.. I walked in with them and Steve told me to have a seat on the floor and handed me sticks. I was totally confused. I didn't know I was allowed to play. Then, I believe the next day they had a show at the church, I went, watched and fell in love. I remember the story Steve told, who all drummed everything.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The first time I heard SR plan was July Jubilee in Lake Mills, IA and I wanted to join SR bad at the time, but my step mom said no cause i was like 14 at the time and at that time they did alot of traveling and stuff I guess. Well that same here my 3 cousins joined and then 4th of July 2007 in Clear Lake, IA. I met Alex Schuck for the first time face to face. I was a shy/leave me alone kind of teenager. I didnt trust anyone and I was going through alot. Then I guess I would say March of 2008 was when I really connected to SR and everything its about. After having a talk with my two site coordnators and then a talk with Steve I began to be the crazy abnormal teenager I am now. I love meeting new people and I wouldn't have said that 4 years ago. SR saved my life that's for sure!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Where's the like button? I want to like Amanda's reply.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Better late than never right?
    Any way the first time I heard about SR was during a mission trip to Kansas City in 2006. We were invited to go to see a drum group play in the park. None of us had heard of SR and thought it would be something to do. We all had a great time and SR was invited to our church on Labor Day weekend and I have been involved since.

    ReplyDelete