Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Summer Almost Here!

I truly enjoyed reading all of your comments from my Going In Circles post...so here we go again...just another one to write about in between all of my travels (like my 11 hour drive to Eau Claire from Rapid City tomorrow to do a school-show followup...then 2 more hours to Madison tomorrow night before calling it a day...that will be a LOT of bird watching from the interstate for sure!).

So, for this post, I want to know what you want to do on your first day out of school.  That is always such a special time of year...for both kids and teachers...that awesome feeling of those days ahead of you...on your time...being able to do what you want relatively stress-free...at least I hope your summer days will be stress free!  SO...what do you want to do on your first day off?

Then, so we don't leave out the working adults who are not teachers...what is your favorite memory from childhood of your first day off of school in some particular summer?  I will respond to that one...because for some reason, every year, I have the same nostalgic memory as I start to hear our youth-drummers talking about summer being almost here...and being excited about being out of school...I have two VERY fond memories of summer...one that makes sense, and one that is kind of geeky, but oh well :)

My favorite summer pastime was always riding my bike...and I always looked forward to that first day out of school when I was able to ride all day, all over town (West Burlington, IA, my home town) and having no schedule to follow.  There is something awesome about any day that is simply ours...to do what we want, when we want, on our own schedule, with no deadlines, no time commitments, and no place we HAVE to be at any certain time.  Savor those moments in your life...whether summer as a kid or vacation as an adult...(or your weekend for that matter, for those that have normal weekends!!)...

My other favorite summer memory, perhaps my all-time favorite one, is the geeky one...but most of you who know me well know that I love flying, love airplanes, and still want to get my pilot's license someday.  Anyhow, when I was in junior high, I got a telescope, and although I did use it for astronomy at night...my FAVE thing to use it for was to identify jets going over my house, at very high altitudes, all day long...keeping a logbook of the jet type and airline...I have NO idea why this was always so enjoyable for me...but I got to be outside, got a great tan, and at the same time learned to ID a passenger jet by its contrail (the "cloud" that forms behind jet engines at high altitudes)...and to this day, I can still do this ID...geeky, but oh well, it is a memory that still brings back feelings of freedom, warmth, peace, and taking time to slowly enjoy the days I had to myself.

SO...your turn...everyone share.

And, Kelli, Alex, Renee, Brenda, and Jordan...have your fangs ready...Cobra is on Sunday!!

29 comments:

  1. My favorite summer past-time would be when i first went to the ocean. Because i live in boring ole Ohio *cough cough* there isnt an ocean really...so when i was in Girl Scouts in 7th grade i went to Georgia for the first time. while i was there i went to the ocean for the first time and had a blast :) i may be a redhead who burns extremely easily but i just kept reapplying the sunscreen :) but i have tons of memories that i will always carry with me for the rest of my life from that summer :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first day that seniors are out of school I am going to eat lunch with my niece who will be 10! My favorite summer past time was going to Branson, MO and Wichita, KS every summer for 13 years! Those 2 places were always very enjoyable!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first day out, I'm going to pinch myself, trying to find out if it's a dream and I've really graduated...

    And now I'm sad because I can't vote in this poll. :( I missed lessons.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well my first day out I plan to sleep in, but then I still have to go into school for marching band. We have a marching band contest Memorial Day weekend and seeing as I'm band queen I think I should probably show up...
    Steve-I'm SO ready for Cobra! I can't wait!!!It will make my district golf meet the next day interesting but I don't care!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My first day out of school, i am going to st. louie (st. louis) to see my brother graduate! Also, maybe do some SR shows so, anybody from st. louis area, hopefulyl i can see you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think my first day of summer I have to take the ACT... Greeeaaaat....

    So the SECOND day of summer I'm going to sleep in and do absolutely nothing useful whatsoever. Maybe have some friends over or something. Then I have a church missions trip, then an SR one. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  7. From the adult side, I remember the first day after school was out, we would ride our bikes, go swimming or if it rained to the library and play outside till late at night because we didn't have to go to school the next day. As Steve said, those were the fun days when you had your own schedule and those memories stay with you. As young people, do savor those moments while you can and don't forget them as you move ahead in life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmm.. My first day out of school I will probably sleep in or hang out with friends. But almost right after schools out drivers ed. starts. So nothing fun planned for summer. :/

    ReplyDelete
  9. when i lived in alabama on the gulf coast my friends and i use to spend the day on the beach and camp out on shore and have cookouts and stuff. we did everything to surfing, sand boarding, chasing seagulls, fishing and collecting shells.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love how everyone wants to sleep in durring the summer :P as for my first day I will most likely go up to the mall then the lake with some friends :) I need a tan so bad lol Im one of the whitest people you could ever meet! Like Steve I also have a summer memory. The day after school got out in 7th grade I went to the mall with a friend and spent all day shopping (and eating!!!!) I loved this person because she bought all my food for me. See I got my tonsils removed the next day so I knew it would be difficult to eat :) anyway I try to go shopping the first day of summer ever since :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rebekah-I just learned that I don't get to sleep in on my first day off, but I'm okay with that...It's all good.
    I think I'm going to do my anual fire on my first day, but this year is weird because I'm out two weeks before everyone else at our school, but we always burn our old homework...It's so fun!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Rebekah- its okay dont worry i am very white as well. See i have very fair skin cause i am a red head...so i burn instead of of tan...haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Rebekah- Don't worry, I'm pretty pale as well. Of course, I insist on sunblock and a big floppy hat in summer, so that's not likely to change.

    Kelli- I don't get to sleep in either. I hope your reason to get up is funner than mine! :) And your annual fire thing sounds fun!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've always wanted to burn all my homework at the end of the year... but I feel like I'm not punk enough. I end up pinning all of the papers I'm proud of to the cork board....

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm supposed to be saving them for my senior portfolio next year. Our school requires a big fancy collection of all our best work for graduation... Which I haven't done a good job of.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Colleen/ Sonja- Geesh guys i think that we should totally start a pale people group :) HAHAHA and Colleen i totally get what ur saying lol at least my burns turn into small tans and freckles :D i have alot of freckles
    Kelli- Do you want to borrow all of my homework for the fire???? ill gladley give it up;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Rebekah- ye i get a lot of freckles in the summer but then they all end up siaappearing as it gets colder haha

    ReplyDelete
  18. hmm on my fisrt day of nothingness,well I guess not nothingness...anyways, :) I will most likely sleep in, only because I havnt slept more than 6 hours in a awhile and I need it. Then wake up think of what I will do, then set up my drums. ^_^ then later probably caught up on things and hang with friends! I cant wait for that day!! 15 more days though...but it will be here soon!

    ReplyDelete
  19. dee- well i am not sitting next to you while i am typing this this time haha good times good times :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. and my picture still didnt show up *sad face*
    man...all that work....grrrr haha

    ReplyDelete
  21. Colleen-indeed it was very good times! LoL :D

    man... I thought we had this!! grr. well we will have to do this again! I will do whatever it takes to get your picture up! Im up for the challenge!! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  22. Now I'm curious to see Colleen's picture.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Dee- i know!!! we are gonna have to get together again...(fun fun fun) yea we will do whatever it takes!!

    Sonja- yea it is an interesting picture of me. well not really...haha you will just have to wait and see :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow thats hard because as of 9:00 AM this morning I got my GED so tomorrow is my first day off and I guess i will guess be out job-hunting some more. :) YAYAYAY FUN!!!!!! NOT!!!!!!! :(

    ReplyDelete
  25. Memories of summer: Riding your bike to a friend's house who lived a mile away. Having her mom make us lunch and coming home before your parents came home from work. Listening for the ice cream man's loud music and buying one. Spending a few weeks with Grandma at her country home and helping her pick berries and grapes and make jelly out of them. Then taking some back home to the city. yummm (miss you Grandma).

    ReplyDelete
  26. Well, my first day of summer consisted of me getting up at 4:30 a.m., being at the school by 5:45, driving 2 hours to Jesup, IA, golfing 18 holes, and turning into lobster because of the 97 degree weather and blazing sun...owwww!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. YOU'RE ALREADY OUT OF SCHOOL??
    I don't think I can take it anymore! I graduate on the 10th!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. lets see my first day of summer was today...i slept in then i went to the grocery store with my mom. so eventful and fun!!! hahaha not really :)

    ReplyDelete