Thursday, August 12, 2010

TRULY...A NEW POST! The SSD/AL review :)

Well, for all those waiting, I am finally posting something new on here.  I am sorry that the summer got away from me; I always thought it could...and it did.  SO many shows, SO much travel, and SO MUCH HUMIDITY.  I am truly tired of it and I am truly wiped out...but today is at least better than yesterday...at least I am awake (for those worrying about that!)

It is hard to believe after all the work, planning, and stress, the first-ever Sizzlin' Summer Drummer Bash has come...and gone.  Isn't it amazing (and a little scary) how fast time can go when you look forward to something for so long...then the moment comes, and in a flash, it is gone.  That was what the entire SSD weekend seemed to be...a flash...and then...gone.  For now.  But, it will return next year...even better!  We learned a lot on how to execute it...and I will be excited to see us build on this next year.  However, even with that said, it will be hard to top it by much, because it was Sheltered Reality at its best.  On Friday, we touched many lives through a series of mission projects...some including drums, others not...but no matter what type of project it was, many people got to see SR members actively working with others, connecting to others, and making a difference.  I know for myself, I have thought long and hard about my new friends at the Hoyleton Children's Home...and missed them...though not for long, given that I am heading there in about one hour to do another show...and connection...and Taking A Chance to see if the home not only wants to be an ongoing mission project for the STL SR group, but wants to be a Drum Site for SR as well...more on this as it unfolds.  I have had the pleasure of hearing from many members that Friday was their favorite SR day...proving again that our mix of drums, music, and service FOR others is a truly awesome mix.
Then, Saturday was a record EIGHT hours of practice...7 before dinner and one more bonus hour after dinner!  WOW...and to think that many wanted to STILL keep going...what dedication...what an honor for me to see such energy...and what a great feeling to have If I Had You nearly 85% complete (still a bit more to go on this epic production, but it is getting there!!).

Then Sunday came...and the worship service kicked it off...with a great BBQ lunch in between with a ton of new friendships made...and the the show...complete with Amanda via live cellphone feed!  So many emotions came out of this show...new stories...new audience members...our first blind guest drummer!!  (Go Gabriel!)...and the kids from Hoyleton having a great time drumming with us!  Despite the heat...we rocked...and both of the new songs went over awesome with the audience!

Following all of this...after a shower and a quick dinner...Jordo and I went to see Allison Iraheta and Adam Lambert...minus Orianthi (who has sadly left the tour)...but what a concert!  First, a great place to see...we were 2nd row balcony but truly RIGHT over the stage (thanks to Ed from Granite City for that seating suggestion)...Allison was terrific live...but Adam...goodness...to see him sing live and use that incredible vocal range was unreal...he is beyond gifted and gave a great 75 min show...complete with an extended If I Had You...sadly though he is NOT a dancer and so no new choreography for the song from his show...but what he said about that song I wanted to share to end this post...he said that the song was the theme of the concert...and no matter how much money, power, celebrity, etc., you have...it makes no difference...it is about the connections you make to others and the love you share that is important in this world...what a great way for him to sum up the entire SSD weekend for me!

Starting TODAY...the blog will change, as I am going to share blogging privileges with the Woot Woot club!  That way, any of you can post for others...sharing about SR...and not waiting on me to find energy to finally get on here...it shall be a great way to expand the blog and keep it moving forward!

With that said...take care all...and happy end of summer drumming :)  See you all soon!!

18 comments:

  1. Steve i agree that friday was definately my favorite day of the weekend. giving kids snow cones over and over again was tiring but to see how happy they were when they got them was priceless....along with the mess Dee, Sabrina, and I made haha (: but i am also glad to hear the concert was awesome (:
    and yes thank you for posting again!! (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're suppose to respond to post?? I know I've been really bad about that.

    Really wish I could have gone, but glad to hear that many had a chance to connect withfrom SR. Mission Days are always powerful and can lead to connections beyond anything we may even know.

    Adam's theme is powerful reminder. That the love we share towards others is more important than money, power, ... It's the lives on earth that we touch that lives on. Not the money.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gahhhh! I wish so much that I could have gone to SSB! I was thinking about all of you all three days...even ask my coworkers (I may or may not have talked about it a ton I guess!) Anyways it sounds like you all had an amazing time!!! I had to make my own bash of sorts during the past 48 hours with Alex Schuck and Dani Berny to Sioux Falls...I don't think the Spring Hill Suites will ever be the same after the three of us...you should check out the videos posted on facebook and you will understand. Thanks to the Kleba's for going with us to Hu Hot as well! It was amazing! Woot Woot! I hope to see you all soon! Some of you I will see at the IA State Fair/mini mega practice in Des Moines.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was really bummed that we weren't able to make it to St. Louis in time for the mission projects. :( I'm hearing from everyone that that was their favorite part of the weekend.

    I simply must share one of my highlights (though there were many). This past weekend, I met my evil twi- I mean counterpart, Johanna. Some of you may be thinking, hey... Johanna/Jovanna/Johanna/Jovanna. My BRAIN HURTS! So we got together during the lunch break on Sunday and walk up to Steve, who looks at us for a few seconds before... "Oh NO! I have to go put something in my car!" I've never seen him run faster. :D

    Other highlights... eight hours of practice, after which I strangely didn't have any blisters on my hands, but my feet hurt. Getting soaked by Lucas while I was sitting on the edge of the hot tub later that night. Hearing Amanda TWICE during the show. And, of course, the 9 1/2 hour drive to and from St. Louis. Now we know how Steve and Jordo feel all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Last weekend was the best weekend I've ever had in a long time! It was incredible... I didn't want it to be over. Friday was amazing..it was my favorite. I had a blast with Colleen and Sabrina doing the snow cones and the kids coming up and asking for rainbow but no blue...it was soo cute. Then having a show and having all of them come up and drum was awesome! One girl didn't even want to let go of the sticks.

    Then Saturday... I had so much fun being able to play up on stage with them! I was SO nervous at first..then I was fine after we played one song. I loved playing Surrender and being able to watch everyone...gave me goosebumps. It was an honor to be able to play on stage! A dream came true. :) Then playing with Tom and Alex was awesome!! I LOVE that Mika song so I was excited even though I really didn't know it very well.

    Then Sunday...was amazing! Even though it was crazy hot..it was totally worth it! I was Uber excited that Amanda got to talk durning the show!! She is such an awesome person! I would do anything I possibly could for her.

    I didn't want the show to be over because I knew that everyone would have to say goodbye and leave... The weekend was so awesome I didn't want that time to come... but sadly it did. When we all got into the Yoder Toder all I could think of was how much fun it was and all the memories I will have. I can't wait until we can all get together again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Bash was awesome! The service project we did involved cleaning up an outreach center. The lady who worked there was so grateful. She even came to our show! Plus, I got a chance to meet new people in SR!

    Megapractice and the show were VERY tiring, but seeing old friends, making new ones, and being able to put faces to the names on my Facebook friends list made it well worth it.

    It's weird, now, sitting at home alone after spending most of my time surrounded by SR people.

    I was happy to run into some SR friends at the Gateway Arch after I had already been resigned to the idea that I probably wouldn't see them again for a while.

    Let's do this again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dee- that kid who asked for the rainbow without the blue was so adorable!!! and that show was so empowering to see all those kids trying something new with us (:

    Sonja- it was amazing to see you at the arch and i was so happy that the show wasnt the final goodbye until the next big mega event (:

    ReplyDelete
  8. Truly, the bash could not have failed with all you wonderful SR people involved. It was a joy to see everyone interacting all three days! It was a real high for me :)
    And I'm glad Adam reminded everyone of what really is important in this world.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Colleen- I know! That was great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sonja- yea it was. i saw you and was like "wow thats Sonja!!! lets go say hi" haha (:

    ReplyDelete
  11. Colleen- I agree! They were awesome. My other favorite was the kid that asked for red with a blue dot on top. :D made me laugh. and I agree very much...that show was awesome.

    Sonja- I took like a double take when I saw you. :D I was like nooo...DUDE ITS SONJA!!!!! :D

    Brenda-I agree!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's quiet here in St Louis this weekend. Where's all my SR drummer friends? At first it didn't seem like many were coming, but you did!:) Friday's missions were awesome - I wanted to be at all of them with all of you. We have made new friends to help out from this event. Saturday I wanted to meet everyone as you walked in but t-shirts made that impossible. Yet I feel I got to meet most of you. Sunday was Sizzlin' hot but touching in so many ways. Thanks to you & your families for coming - I am making a whole scrapbook album for this event. Facebook me and share your pictures. It's been so fun seeing some of them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The SSDB was AWESOME!! All of it was amazing and I feel we touched MANY lives. Mission day was the neatest! The kids that I had the privilege to work with through Neighborhood Houses were soo cool! The 8 hour practice was soo tiring but it was soo worth it!! Then the show Sunday...WOW! Connecting with Amanda was incredible!! I miss all of you guys and I want to see ya'll again like SOON!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. that show was special for me. Even though i was there in person everyone heard me through the speakers. I cried so much after I got off the phone (Don't worry they were happy tears) that was very very special to me. Being able to hear all of you play was so amazing. Like I will NEVER forget that. You all are truly amazing and I love every single one of you. you have no idea how much you all mean to me. You guys are more of a family to me then my own family is to me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I saw God so many times that weekend, that I'm still on a high from it a good week later. Yes, my favorite day was Friday by far. Helping the little kids at the Neighborhood House was very special! My favorite moment of the whole weekend was when little Gabe got to go up there and bang on those drums with the rest of us. THAT truly tugged on my heart strings. He was getting to succeed at something that he wouldn't normally get to do or get told there's no way he'd be able to do it. I absolutely loved it!

    I can't wait for a reunion! The people I shared stories, sweat (:D) and friendship with this weekend will always be in my heart. It's just reassuring to know I will always have the people in Sheltered Reality as support. Even if people close to me can't fulfill that spot, I know that I'll always have you guys. And I thank you so very much.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Seeing Gabe drum was phenomenal! He was keeping up with everyone else too...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great comments from all...and Adrianne...it was great to see you on here! YAAAY! More from you please :) We love your comments, truly!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Adrianne - I didn't think we could top the fact that we were all touched with Amanda's phone calls, but when Jon asked Gabriel to drum, I was touched. He had no idea. Jon has arranged to be available for practice this Sunday and I sent Gabriel's mom some pictures from the concert. We are hoping he comes...that would make my day.

    ReplyDelete