Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Member Of The Week: Tom Montgomery!!

1. Name:  Tom Montgomery

2. Age: 58

3. Hometown AND State: Toledo, OH  
     
4. Sheltered Reality Practice Site: Toledo, OH

5. How long have you been in the group? 14 months (since we formed)

6. What is your favorite food? Barbequed Ribs

7. Were you a drummer BEFORE Sheltered Reality? yes

8. How many HOURS per week (on average) do you play the drums, practice SR beats and songs, or just jam for fun? well….I play with several different “groups”, so varies from week to week. This week, about 20 hrs.  On average, 10-15.  

9. How many HOURS per week (on average) do you work on Turbo Jam, work on SR choreography, or just work out? About 8-9 hrs a week. 

10. If you do your own work-outs, what do you like to do? Mostly weight training, but teach a step/body toning class also. 

11. How many HOURS per week (on average) do you work on SR mission related things OR your own missions to change the world? OK. Have to work more on this one. Maybe 1-2.  

12. Who‘s your hero? My heroes were my parents. I now realize what an amazing job they did raising the 5 of us, and how much they sacrificed without ever letting on that there were any financial difficulties.  We were all different and they supported all of us fully in whatever we pursued. They were always there for us NO MATTER WHAT.  Wow! How did they do that!!??

13. What is your favorite show you have performed in OR seen from the audience?  When the Warren group came and played at what would become our site’s home church. Why is this your favorite? I had never heard of SR before, and did not know what to expect.  I was blown away by the music, the performance and the message. If not for that performance, I would have missed out. 

14. If you could thank one person for something they did in your life at this point in time, who would it be and how would you thank them? My mother for giving me love, support, and wise guidance (even pointed me toward the right career in the course of a simple easy conversation, just like best friends have).  I will place a toy drum at her gravesite, since she loved seeing me perform with the band. 

15. If you had to tell a random stranger, who has never played drums or any musical instrument, what Sheltered Reality is and stands for, what would you say? It is a national organization that uses the power of music, specifically drums, to empower youth and raise self-esteem through hard work, dedication and perseverance, while having a blast in a totally supportive environment. Whew! How is that for a dangerously long sentence.  Almost Steve-esque in scope.   

16. What is something that nobody knows about you?  My teen years were very awkward, between acne, braces and being stick-thin. But I was happy, thanks to great friends, mostly fellow band geeks.  So, thinking back, I can cringe and smile at the same time.

17. If you were to make a bucket list, what would be top of the list? To reconnect with all of the important friends in my life.  

18. What three things are always in your refrigerator? Milk, juice, grilled - ready-to-reheat chicken breasts. 

19. What is your favorite group/artist? Musical genre (pop, country, Christian contemporary, etc)? Heavily scored pop/rock bands like Styx, Chicago, Kansas, Electric Light Orchestra, Moody Blues. Oh, and funk/soul.  Janet Jackson, Earth Wind and Fire. 

20. What do you think people believe of you that is not true? Hmmm. Not sure how to answer this one. Pretty much, what you see is what you get.  Maybe that I am not as sure of myself as I may sometimes seem. But pretty good at taking things on the fly.  Keeps me on my toes, and it’s exciting to see how things turn out.   

21. What is your favorite beat? The entire Pirates (Wolves of the Sea) chorus fill. Big, long, crazy fun. 

22. If you were King/Queen of the world, what would you change? I would banish inconsideration. 

23. How do you hope to apply the lessons learned from SR later in life? I will continue with SR to spread the message to others. 

24. Pick one of the Steps of Success and tell of a time where it has paid off for you.
Take a chance. I had a fear of public speaking. But I have always loved music.  So I decided to become a mobile DJ, forcing myself to take the mike, knowing that the wedding reception (for example) would be ruined if I froze.  It worked out very well, and for every function I played, I got at least one more. 

25. What is your favorite Color? Blue Why is it your favorite color? It matches my eyes.  Oh, wait.  My eyes are brown.  But who has brown as their favorite color?

26. Do you have a favorite Sport and or a favorite Sports Team? I was an avid tennis player, but racquetball is probably my favorite sport.  

27. Who or what has been the biggest Influence in your life? Simple. MUSIC.
 
28. Do you like your Personality? I do. Do you wish you were stronger, braver, or bolder? No. I am plenty strong physically, and when I think of those who are bolder, most are pretty obnoxious. If you like it, why? God made me this way, and who am I to question that? I have been very fortunate and am extremely grateful for all His gifts.  If you do not like it, what would you change? 

29. Have you ever stood up for what you believe, even when it was very hard? Did I mention I dislike inconsiderate behavior? Littering is one of my BIG pet peeves. On several occasions, when I have been stopped at a light and see someone in the car ahead throw something out the window, I have marched up, picked up the trash and thrown it back in their car, saying they must have accidentally dropped it, totally acting as if I were doing them a favor.  TIP: Do not try this at home! One guy was much bigger than me. Yikes! Good thing the light changed.  

30. What is your favorite subject in school? math

31. Are you the person you want to be? I am. And getting to be more and more that person day by day, experience by experience. 

32. If you never joined SR, or never heard of SR would you be the same person you are now? Honestly, probably yes. But only because I am at a different point in my life. Having said that, I have learned some powerful lessons about the power of creating a supportive and positive environment where people can thrive. Why or why not?

33. What are five things that you have in your room that you love? My wife, my t-shirt collection, my stereo system, my DVDs, and my computer which allows me to connect to this blog (shameless plug!).  

34. Can you play any other Instrument other than the drums? Just other percussion instruments. Do you wish/want to play another instrument? No. If so, what? I would have liked to learn the piano at some point, but not now. Drums are way more fun. 

35. Do you do the SOS (Steps of Success) daily? Sure. How many times do you think you use it in a week? 42.  Which is also the answer to Life, the Universe and Everything. (See Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy)

36. What is your favorite movie of all time? Hmmmm. Three come to mind, in this order: Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Matrix, and Tron. Why? I love British humor, action/sci fi and I was a computer science major. 

37. What is your favorite television show and/or shows? Right now, Flash Forward, V, Glee, Castle and Caprica.  

38. What movie do you want to see really badly but didn’t get the chance to? We are movie buffs, so make a point of catching them eventually. 

39. What is your favorite saying that you say? “See ya, wouldn’t want to be ya.” Actually, I don’t use it that often, but always liked the sound of it.  And then, to my amazement, heard it in the lyrics to one of Gloria Estefan’s (singer of Cuba Libre) songs. 

40. What's your favorite Step of Success and why? Believe in Yourself. Because, without that, you will be afraid to take a chance, to do whatever it takes, and chances are you will just give up. 

41. What are you most proud of about your life? Being married to my best friend for over 30 years, raising two wonderful, totally amazing kids along the way.
 
42. What is your favorite theme song? Tie between Rockford Files (instrumental), and Greatest American Hero (Believe it or not, I am walking on air, etc.).  

43. What is your favorite mission project, and how did it impact you? Feeding the homeless at Tent City last year. To think that, but for the grace of God, any of us could be in that position. 

44. Why did you originally join SR, and what are your reasons for staying? Having seen the Warren group perform, I wanted to be a part of that. Seeing the Toledo group progress and thrive, seeing the changes, seeing and hearing of all the success stories from other sites as well. Looking forward to connecting through national meetings, mega-practices and mega-performances.  

45. If you were all of a sudden out of the group what is one thing you have learned that you would take with you the rest of your life? That positive thoughts and actions can yield unbelievable results. Hearing how others have overcome adversity and are now shining, demonstrates that we can all do the same.    

46. What makes you, you?  I feel great helping others. I like to think I have a good sense of humor, and integrity is very important to me.  

47. How is your friendship different with SR friend and non SR friends? Friendships are similar to those with other musical groups I perform with. But the power of the music makes those friendships stronger than others. How are people in SR at your site/in the country different than people you go to school and/or work with?  We have a common purpose and have much more fun. 

48. If you had to move, would you try to stay in contact with Steve and Jordan and your site? Absolutely.  For one, I would probably form a site wherever I was, so would keep in contact that way. And, if not too far away, would arrange for joint concerts with the Toledo group. 

49. If this blog was never created do you think we would be as close as we are now? No. The blog has introduced me to many others I have never met, and am looking forward to meeting at Rushmore.  And, has kept me in touch with my Warren buddies as well. We don’t get to see them nearly enough. 

50. What is your favorite part about the blog? The craziness.  You just never know what direction a post is going to take you.  It is always entertaining to catch up.  

51. What other activities/organizations are you involved in? Fitness trainer at a local health club, and drum for a number of different organizations (community bands, church, play groups (musicals), Christian Orchestra and Choir).
 
52. What size drumsticks do you play with? 7A. I had always used nylon tips, but with SR drumming, I prefer the standard wood tips.   

53. What are the first three things you do when you get home from school/work/traveling? 1) empty pockets, 2) empty bladder, 3) read mail/newspaper
 
54. Who do you choose from the Blog Followers to be the NEXT Member of the Week?? Kelli Lair (OOPS...Tom, Kelli was first, so KELLI...pick someone random (and someone who is not also heard from on the blog!)...THANKS!

13 comments:

  1. Oh jeeze...ummm let's see...shut my eyes and click on a random follower in the list. And the winner is.....Justin Lohmeyer.
    Tom-I have done that at a stoplight too!!! I agree, don't do it! I can't wait to meet you at Rushmore!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tom- "It matches my eyes. Oh, wait. My eyes are brown" I laughed soo hard! this made my day!!! and I LOVE GLEE!!! It such an awesome show! Its starting again soon!!!! Yess!!!
    and TOM...WE GET TO TRAVEL WITH YOU GUYS!!!!! :D I CANT WAIT TO SEE YOU GUYS! :D 2 more days!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tom, your answers were great! I love your sense of humor! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tom- your answers made me laugh! Haha, how many times do you use the SOS? 42. WOot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your answers are so awesome! Woot! That was really cool seeing that you like sci-fi movies! I know it's going to be a little different, but are you ready for Tron Legacy? The graphics look amazing! Plus, Jeff Bridges is back in it! Hope to see you at Mount Rushmore!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love, love, LOVE your answers! They are awesome!! I think my favorite was the whole eye color deal!!! HAHA!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alex, I saw the trailer for Tron Legacy last week and it looks amazing. I am very much looking forward to seeing it. Yes, Jeff Bridges is on a roll. Maybe he'll get another Oscar for this movie. as if.... I am leaving for MTR in a day and a half. Can't wait to meet you all. Thanks for the great feedback, everyone. You are too kind. Way to BE A FRIEND!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tom, it's great to learn all about you! BTW, does the term 'propeller head' mean anything to you? :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tom,
    It was so great to get to know you better before this week-end! Can't wait to meet you in person!

    ReplyDelete
  10. TOm your answers were great! I LOved the EYE color part!!!!...:)WOOT WOOT!!!!...:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tom-i can't wait to meet you too! Hope you have a safe and short trip! even though you are probably on your way.....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tom - Your answers are way good! It was entertaining to read them :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Tom- YES!! my computer works again!!! but yes i did like your answers and yes it was amazing traveling with you Devin, and Tori :)

    ReplyDelete