Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Member Of The Week: Jovanna LaPlant!

Name:
Jovanna LaPlant 
2.   Age:
 17
3.   Hometown AND State:
 Minnetonka, MN
4.   Sheltered Reality Practice Site:
 Minneapolis/St. Paul
5.   How long have you been in the group?
 4 years last November
6. What’s your favorite Bible verse/chapter/book?
Psalm 94:18 When I said ‘my foot is slipping,’ your mercy, oh LORD, held me up.
7.   Were you a drummer BEFORE Sheltered Reality?
 Me?? Nah.
8.   How many HOURS per week (on average) do you play the drums, practice SR beats and songs, or just jam for fun?
Time, as Einstein has thoroughly proven, is relative… ehem, but relative to how much I should be practicing, not enough.
9.   How many HOURS per week (on average) do you work on Turbo Jam, work on SR choreography, or just work out?
 I don’t know… maybe an hour or two on average.
10.      If you do your own work-outs, what do you like to do?
 Pull-ups are fun J
11.      How many HOURS per week (on average) do you work on SR mission related things OR your own missions to change the world?
I try to participate in all of our group mission projects, but unfortunately, I missed the last one.
12.     What is your favorite bit of SR choreography?
The YMCA partner dance. It is soooo much fun.
13.      What is your favorite show you have performed in OR seen from the audience?  Why is this your favorite?
 This question is way too hard! How am I supposed to pick just one show? Can I pick several? Okay, good. Last MTR, the community show in Watertown, and the first show in which I taught the Steps of Success. J These just really stand out to me, mostly because of what was said at the shows or whom I was drumming with, not the actual drumming.
14.      If you could thank one person for something they did in your life at this point in time, who would it be and how would you thank them?
I would thank a few friends whom I write with. As the saying goes, as steel sharpens steel, so one man sharpens another. I’m not sure how I would thank them… perhaps with a monolithic monument, the likes of which would rival Lady Liberty.
15.      If you had to tell a random stranger, who has never played drums or any musical instrument, what Sheltered Reality is and stands for, what would you say?
 I would tell them that we are a faith-based drumming group, and that we tell people they can succeed at anything they want to if they follow our steps to success.
16.      What is something that nobody knows about you?
 If there was a world champion title for best Jr. Pac-man player… it would be mine!
17.      If you were to make a bucket list, what would be top of the list?
 To travel to Germany, live there for a year or more, get a job, assimilate myself into their culture, and become fluent in the language.
18.      What three things are always in your refrigerator?
 Olives, ketchup, and shredded cheese
19.      What is your favorite group/artist? Musical genre (pop, country, Christian contemporary, etc)?
I don’t know about all time favorite, but definitely one of my favorite bands is Zoos of Berlin. J
20.     What do you think people believe of you that is not true?
Hmm… I think people think that I don’t have to work hard for my good grades. So not true.
21.      What is your favorite beat?
 The trainwre- I mean the tick-tock beat. ;)
22.      If you were King/Queen of the world, what would you change?
I can’t think of anything that wouldn’t sound cheesy. Honestly, I know I would make a terrible Queen of the world.
23.      How do you hope to apply the lessons learned from SR later in life?
Well, the obvious answer is that next year (my first year of college) is going to require a whole lot of Take a Chance, Never Give Up, and Believe in Yourself… and after that…. Well, let’s just say that wherever I go, I’ll be keeping all of our steps quite close.
24.      Pick one of the Steps of Success and tell of a time where it has paid off for you.
Doing Whatever it Takes has been getting me through this school year. Going to a school of 750+ people in my graduating class alone is really tough for me. I just wasn’t made to cope with that number of people.
25.      What is your favorite Color? Why is it your favorite color?
Almost any variation of green J
26.      Do you have a favorite Sport and or a favorite Sports Team?
Softball J I’m a catcher.
27.      Who or what has been the biggest Influence in your life?
My mom. She’s taught me to stop worrying about what the world thinks of me and focus only on what God does.
28.                        Do you like your Personality? Do you wish you were stronger, braver, or bolder?  If you like it, why?  If you do not like it, what would you change?
Yes, though sometimes I wish I weren’t so shy. And, of course, I wish I were braver. But I’ve come to terms with the fact that I’ll never be a Gryffindor.
29.      Have you ever stood up for what you believe, even when it was very hard?
Yes, and it really is hard sometimes.
30.      What is your favorite subject in school?
English, hands down. Though last semester I took a psychology class and it was honestly the highlight of my day!
31.     Are you the person you want to be?
No. I want to be the person God wants me to be, but we all fall short.
32.      If you never joined SR, or never heard of SR would you be the same person you are now? Why or why not?
 Absolutely not. SR has given me so much! It’s really more than I can put into words, but SR has helped me to get over my shyness to some extent.
33.      What are five things that you have in your room that you love?
 Awesome question. All of my books (for I am a voracious reader), my small collection of army men, a ceramic knight that my great-grandma painted, two nerf guns (hey, a girl’s got to hold her own against her brother!), and a beautiful turtle lamp which was passed on to me after my grandma died. I always get choked up when I think of it, because one of my cousins collects turtles… and she wanted me to have it.
34.      Can you play any other Instrument other than the drums?  Do you wish/want to play another instrument?  If so, what?
No, though I used to play piano. I really wish I could pick it up again.
35.      Do you do the SOS (Steps of Success) daily? How many times do you think you use it in a week?
Constantly! I don’t think I could guess, though I’m constantly pushing myself, especially with Whatever it Takes.
36.      What is your favorite movie of all time? Why?
The Sting. I don’t really know why, other than that I could never get bored watching it.
37.      What is your favorite television show and/or shows?
Survivor
38.      What movie do you want to see really badly but didn’t get the chance to?
 Sherlock Holmes. Ah well, I’ll just wait for it to go to the dollar theater. J
39.      What is your favorite saying that you say?
Mut und Anmut sind eine beatliche Mischung.
Courage and bravery are a formidable combination. –Marlene Dietrich
40.      What's your favorite Step of Success and why?
Take a Chance. It’s the first one. Without a first, we wouldn’t have the second.
41.      What are you most proud of about your life?
I don’t know… getting as far as I have in learning German, maybe.  
42.      What is your favorite theme song?
 Massive Attack’s Teardrop for the show House M.D.
43.      What is your favorite mission project, and how did it impact you?
Feed my starving children. I’ve done it several times, both with and without SR. It’s just an awesome organization and a really humbling experience.
44.      Why did you originally join SR, and what are your reasons for staying?
God gave me a strong desire to join despite the fact that I’d never drummed before and never felt so strongly about something before. I’ve said this before, but I would not have stuck with SR if we weren’t faith-based.
45.                        If you were all of a sudden out of the group what is one thing you have learned that you would take with you the rest of your life?
That I have a family who cares about me, and who I can now keep in contact with through this blog! And, of course, the steps of success.
46.      What makes you, you?
 The fact that I’m not willing to compromise who I am or my beliefs for anyone.
47.      How is your friendship different with SR friend and non-SR friends?  How are people in SR at your site/in the country different than people you go to school and/or work with?
My friendships with SR friends are much more open. I’m able to be myself and talk about things that are really important to me. There are so many people out there who would push you down for openly talking about God in school. Just this morning, someone in my first hour class was cracking jokes about Christians and God. I wasn’t brave enough to turn around and say that I wasn’t okay with it.
48.      If you had to move, would you try to stay in contact with Steve and Jordan and your site?
Naturally.
49.                        If this blog was never created do you think we would be as close as we are now?
Nope. I think this blog has already brought so many people from different sites together and will continue to do so. We’re like a patch-work quilt family!
50.      What is your favorite part about the blog?
The people I’m meeting.
51.      What other activities/organizations are you involved in?
Softball and National Honors Society.
52.      What size drumsticks do you play with?
 7A
53.      What are the first three things you do when you get home from school/work/traveling?
Shrug off my coat and shoes, discard my backpack, and say hello to a beaming, tail-wagging Tiger.
54.      Who do you choose from the Blog Followers to be the NEXT Member of the Week??

Drum roll please… BEN! Or Picasso, whichever he’s going by these days.

31 comments:

  1. Jovanna- Awesome answers!!! I can just imagine what you will be like in person! I'm looking forward to meeting you! I love how you share about the Lord! Isn't HE awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm first!!! :) Jovanna, it's been great learning about you. I can't wait to meet you sometime. We actually have a lot in common (even if I am just a kid at heart). I would NEVER, EVER have believed that YOU are actually shy! Wonder why? Some of your comments really make me smile even if I don't always know what's going on in the conversation. You really seem like an awesome person that I look forward to meeting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Darn, thought I was first to post. :( Oh well, I'll take second.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jovanna I have learned so much more about you now! I must say I love being at shows with you! Wish you would have been there Sunday. Kristian decided to be mean and make me do it all. I love your explination of the steps (I blanked and forgot one at the show!) I didn't know you were a senior...I don't know what I thought you were but not a senior. Wait! I remember thinking that at the Farmington practice/party too! I guess I did know that and just keep forgetting. I miss you and hope to see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. And third, too, Karen. :)

    Ha ha Jovanna, your posts on here are always so much fun to read.

    I know what you mean about people bashing religion at school. I've taken to keeping my religion almost a secret, because I've gotten so much flak for it in the past. Even from my friends. It's disgusting.

    I'm shy too! Yeah, just decided to randomly announce that.

    Also, I like how you color-coded the foods.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jenn- Yes, I can't wait to meet you either! Perhaps at MTR? I haven't signed up yet, but I'll sit down and talk with my parents about that soon. :) And YES! All the time, God is good. I think Steve should keep that first blank question that I filled in. It would be fun to know what verses every one tends to keep close to them.

    Karen- Well, I really am much more LOUD and boisterous online than in real life. Part of it is that I'm around people whom I know I can trust here. I know it's okay to let loose, have a bit of fun. But the other part of it (and I know every one can relate to this)... isn't it just so much easier to be funny when you've got time to process what's going on and THEN respond? Much easier to ZING Steve that way. :P

    Kelli- Yeah... I blank out too sometimes. It's really scary! We all know them so well... and then you're expected to spit them out just like that to an audience! Brrrr. Scary.

    Sonja- I know what you mean. It's really sad that we have to feel that way in school. Fight back! You know one way I do it? Ever looked at my shoes? On the right: 94:18. And on the left: 52:7. Hmmm... one of those numbers looks familiar...

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a good idea, Jovanna. Maybe I'll risk my mothers wrath and decorate my jeans...

    Also I agree that it is much easier to be oneself on the blog. I'm just not good at face-to-face. Of course, if you're like me and are on the blog at odd hours of the night and are too tired to process what's going on, the extra time doesn't help. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jovanna- I remember when you first did the steps of success and the kids block party! You did so well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tonia- haha, yes. I remember that well. But you must remember that I had a cheat sheet! That's probably the only reason I kept my head. :p

    ReplyDelete
  10. i just gotta say thats a lotta information and in the words of chris brown its like wow

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow, i got a drum role!!! i'm goin by Benjamin J. Arnold now, it looks and sounds more professional cuz i'm cool like that lol! also to go with the question about the three things in ur frig, u said u had shredded cheese! i found out this past weekend that its really expensive! we were doing a pizza making fundraiser and ordered 2 boxes of shredded cheese and it was 120 bucks! thats crazy i never thought its that expensive! wow... blows me away!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jovanna and Sonja--it is much easier when you don't have to be face to face and try to come up with what to say. I always end up thinking of something funny after people have left. So this is definitely much easier to have time to think about what to get Steve with. Maybe something as a group . . ? But to let you know, just keep practicing facing those fears. It does get a little easier as you get older, you just have to force yourself out of your box! (That whole take a chance thing!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jovanna! I learned ALOT of things about you from this that I would have never guessed about you! Like Kelli, I have no idea how old i thought you were but i didn't think you were a senior! I think I have only met you once and I thought you were super shy! But i guess I was wrong! :)

    Ben did cheese really cost you 120 bucks?! That is alot! lol! :P

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jovana, great job in answering ALL those questions. Religion - people tend to judge christians on experiences from others who call themselves "christians". Then give up believing. Then something happens and it turns them around. Maybe it happens at an SR show, I have to believe our message changes peoples' lives every day. I love that you stand up to your peers in your beliefs. That's hard to do in high school or at any age. All things are possible through Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  15. no joke mikayla 120 smacker roos (thats cool talk for 12o dollars) hehehahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Jovanna! I really liked your answers. And you HAVE to see Sherlock Holmes,it's good and JUDE LAW makes it even better!
    And that Germany thing is way cool :)) I'm sure you'll be fluent in it some day! I learned so much about you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Heidi-I must disagree with you. I didn't like Sherlock Holmes one bit.
    MiKayla-Bulk orders are cheeper than buying individual think about that! If you were to buy that much cheese not in bulk it would be over $200!
    Ben-I'm glad you decided to go with that name...basicly because I can't spell to save my life and would screw up Picasso (had Jovanna not put it in her answer so I could simply copy and paste it!)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Heidi- I thought you didnt understand any of sherlock holmes?

    MiKayla- no one else will understand this, but now you are fair game!

    Kelli- I cant spell either!

    Ben- I cant wait to read your answers....i really like this reading and getting to know so much about other people!

    Jovanna- I think my favorite question was the one that you added about your favorite bible verse I think everyone should keep that! I love knowing verses that stick out to other people! and I love that verse! its so true to know that whenever you are falling in life not only will your friends be there but the Lord will also be there to hold you up!

    ReplyDelete
  19. These are great answers and I cant wait to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I agree--Can't wait to meet you! Great answers!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Awesome answers!! :D we havve a lot in common also! thats awesome! the one i was like DUDE ME TOO was the Massive Attack’s Teardrop for the show House M.D.!! LOVE thats song andd the show <3 ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  22. Jovanna- i love that you put in your favorite bible verse. we have quite a few things in common. I cant wait to meet you!! well not just have you sign my shirt but actually have a conversation with you :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ben- not if you buy it on sale. ;)

    Karen- thanks for the advice and encouragement.

    MiKayla- I still am shy. Just not to the degree that I was pre-SR. :)

    Annette- thanks. And, yes. It really is a hard thing to do in high school. I regret to have to say that there are times when I'm simply at a loss for what to say to people, and so I keep quiet.

    Heidi- JUDE LAW'S IN SHERLOCK HOLMES?? Now I simply must see it! I love Jude Law!

    Kelli- o_0 What's not to like if it's got Jude Law in it? haha.

    Tonia and Colleen- Yeah. I hope every one else starts putting in their fav verses too. :D And Colleen, go thou and look at your MTR shirt from last year. My signature will magically appear on it!

    Drew and David- I can't wait to meet you two either! ^_^

    Dee- Haha, I know! But I don't think the actual song is as good as just the theme... the vocals kind of ruin it in my opinion...

    ReplyDelete
  24. Jovanna- i agree. there... I don't know.. well i guess weird. lol But yeah I agree they ruin it. I just like it in the show. I listened to the whole thing and I was like hmm really? but then my friend showed it to me but it was in german... it was pretty cool! but it was girls and guys singing it. I liked that one more. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  25. Jovanna- you know i was looking at my shirt the other day and i started laughing...i was like all these people signed my shirt but i dont know any of them. then i went back and pointed out all of the people on the blog that i met and have become friends with :) (yours was the first one that "magically" appeared) :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I think I signed your shirt too!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Jovanna-It's just not my type of movie I guess. It was okay, but it is most certainly not one I would see again!

    ReplyDelete
  28. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Kelli- Well that's a shame haha :)) Though I have to say it's not like any "best movie ever" or anything like that

    Tonia- Yea well I didn't too much hahahah but Jude Law makes that up!

    Jovanna- YEA HE IS WATSON! You totally made my day! No one knows who he is or then just doesn't like him! That's why I went to see the whole movie!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Jovanna- :)

    Tonia- i think i saw your name but i will look again :)

    ReplyDelete